- Try getting your run in during the early morning. Avoid afternoon runs as much as possible since that's when the pollen count is the highest.
- Remember during your run you are breathing in the pollen, running in an area with less trees/grass will assist in avoiding the pollen.
- Focus on your breathing pattern. For people who have allergies to pollen your airway will be compromised.
- Keep your body full of fluids to help avoid your airways from drying out.
- Try chewing gum to keep your mouth moist.
- Wash off all exposed body parts after your run. The pollen can irritate causing damage.
- Remember, pollen season will be over soon!
Training Exercise(s): Hills and mile repeats! Ah, it's like nails on a chalk board, but both are needed to improve performance. Hills aid in gaining strength in your legs. Mile repeats help to increase endurance and speed. When you put the two training concepts together you have magic. Hills and mile repeats will help strengthen your muscles, increase your endurance, increase your speed, and make you a better runner overall. Try doing hills 1-2 days a week, mile repeats 1-2 days per week, and long(er) runs 3-4 days per week. Just remember to have at least 1 day of hills and 1 day of mile repeats. Try fitting them into your running schedule where it fits best for you.
Training Tip(s): Spring time entails a lot of races. Try to do distances that you haven't done before or haven't done in a long time. If you are more of a long distances runner try doing some 5k, 6k, or even 10ks during the Spring time. Not only will it add variety to your running, but it will also help you get stronger. Training for a shorter distances allows you to increase your pace; therefore, making you faster and stronger. Have fun!
Training Song(s): Since it is almost Earth Day the following songs are only appropriate. Instead of Earth Day lets make it Earth Week; yep, i'm part tree-hugger! Enjoy! :)
1. Back To The Earth- Rusted Root
2. Cat Turned Blue- Rusted Root
3. Two Of Us- Matt Costa ft. Jack Johnson
4. Too Much- Dave Matthews Band
5. Sexting- Ludacris (This one is just for fun!)
Countdown to the Atlanta Live DOW Run For Water:
6 Days (April 18, 2010)
Countdown to the AJC Peachtree Road Race:
July 4, 2010
*I promise I will soon be back to blogging like normal! Sorry for the lapse and short blogs lately.