Training Exercise: Front Dumbbell (DB)/ Medicine Ball (MB) swings. This is a great exercise for your core and shoulder stability. Having good shoulder stability as a runner will help aid in good breathing because you will be less likely to rotate your shoulders inward, impeding your breathing.
Front DB/MB Swings:
- Grab 2 light DB (about 8-10 lbs) or a MB if you don't have access to DB.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Grab both DB/MB holding them close together in the middle of your body.
- Keeping your arms straight, bend your knees in a squatting position, use the momentum to drive the weights up over your head while your arms are straight. (The end position: Standing straight up with your arms straight over your head.)
- Keeping your arms straight, return to the starting position: Move your arms from over your head back down to the squatting position.
- That is 1 rep, repeat for 15-20 reps for 3-5 sets.
Tips: The starting position your body is in a squatting stance with your arms straight holding the wights in between your legs. The end position you are standing straight with your arms straight over your head. The motion between the start and end position (the swing) will feel like a plank.
Training Tip: Remember while running or exercising your shoulders are always rotated back. Runners have the tendency to internally rotate our shoulders (the motion of rolling your shoulders forward towards your chest). By rotating the shoulders back, you will "open" up your chest making it easier for air/blood to flow. Shoulders back helps the oxygen flow correctly from your lungs, heart, and your mouth. This will help correct your breathing patterns to be more efficient. The more efficient you are the less likely you will cramp from lack of oxygen.
Training Songs: It's getting close to the half so that means I need lots of upbeat songs to get me through these last weeks of training! Feel free to suggest any new songs! Enjoy!
1. Little Miss- Sugarland
2. Who Dat Girl- Flo Rida ft Akon
3. Buzzin (Remix)- Mann ft. 50 Cent
4. Yeah 3X- Chris Brown
5. Shake Me Down- Cage The Elephant
Training Lagniappe: Why do you run? Everyone has their own reason of what inspires them to run and go the distance! I think this video covers it all! Enjoy! Thank you active.com :-).
Jayme Bergeron, BS
ACSM Health Fitness Specialist