Examples of Good Carbohydrates:
1. Brown Rice
3. Whole Wheat Bread
4. Whole Wheat Pasta Noodles
5. Variety of Fruits
Examples of Good Protein:
1. Turkey Meat
2. Greek Yogurt
5. Beans/ Soybeans/ Peas/ Lentils
Examples of Good Fats:
2. Varieties of Nuts
3. Omega 3/6 (Fish Oil)
4. Pumpkin Seeds
Remember using anything in excessive amounts doesn't mean it is better. Just because something is good doesn't mean more must be better for you. You can gain weight just as easily off abusing healthier foods. Our bodies are energy first systems. It will take what it needs to compensate for the deficit and then use the nutrients for its purpose. Example: Protein plays a role in muscle repair. If you consume more protein than carbohydrates after a workout your body will use the protein for energy before using it to rebuild muscle. You will want a little more carbohydrates so you body using the carbohydrates first for energy and then use the protein to rebuild muscle. Also, remember skipping meals keeps your body in an energy deficit. Conclusion: Smart consumption is key.
Training Exercise: I love ab exercises, especially since Summer is approaching! I'll say it again, having a good core is key to avoiding problems such as back and hamstring injuries.
Examples of Core Exercises:
1. Planks- Front planks, side planks, side planks while lifting arm and/or leg up in the air, side planks with weight, planks on the stability ball, or plank on the stability ball and lift on foot off the ground.
2. Limited Rotations
3. Stability Ball Rollouts/ Circles
4. Figure 8's with a Kettlebell
5. Kettlebell Swings
Here is a good article explaining why crunches aren't ideal for core exercise. Basically, the repetitive grind of the crunch harms our spines: The Man Who Wants To Kill Crunches.
Training Tip: When a storm is brewing the humidity rises! Yea, my morning 10 miler consisted of an overcast sky, high humidity, and skin abrasions. My tip: With high humidity comes skin abrasions from clothes rubbing on your skin or skin on skin, so use lube. That sounds dirty, hehe. ;)
Training Songs: I'm about to graduate college and it made me think: What songs were popular when I graduated high school? It seems like such a long time ago, I'm getting old. Here are some of the top 100 from 2005. Enjoy!
1. Over and Over- Nelly ft. Tim McGraw
2. Drop It Like It's Hot- Snoop Dogg
3. Sugar- Trick Daddy ft. Ludacris and Cee-Lo
4. Laffy Taffy- D4L
5. Disco Inferno- Nelly
6. Wait (The Whisper Song)- Ying Yang Twins
7. Stay Fly- Three 6 Mafia
8. Soldier- Destiny's Child
9. Get Right- Jennifer Lopez
10. My Humps- The Black Eyed Peas